In 2017, Jefferson Healthcare received a grant from the WA Department of Health to evaluate the role of hospitals in housing. Jefferson Healthcare will be partnering with OlyCAP and others to implement a housing pilot for our most vulnerable patients.
Jefferson Healthcare is committed to providing healthy food to our patients, staff and the broader community. This portfolio is specifically looking to address food insecurity in Jefferson County, which effects over 4,000 people in our community.
Social isolation, or being lonely, has significant impacts on health, including an increased risk for chronic diseases, poor mental health, hospital readmissions and other negative outcomes. This portfolio is exploring the feasibility of an inter generational program for adults and children to address social isolation in our community.
The cultural shift for healthcare
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Triple Aim recommends health systems redesign to improve patient experience, decrease costs, and improve the health of whole populations. Population health strategies at the local level is key to meeting Triple Aim goals.
Rural health systems can work nimbly with colleagues and community agencies to make a targeted difference in community health.
Jefferson Healthcare’s population health strategies
- Publish community profiles of county sub-populations
- Highlight differing needs to focus strategic planning
- Focus has been housing, food insecurity, and social isolation
- Explore expansion to transportation, employment, and early life
- Integrate behavioral health into primary care teams
- Establish dental care services for low-income residents
- Create medication assisted opiate addiction treatment program within primary care clinics
- Embed full spectrum reproductive health into primary care
Advocacy and Policy
- Advocate for expanded allowable services within rural health clinics and modernizing rural payment structures
- Partner with Community Health Improvement Plan and Olympic Community of Health to implement and expand community-wide programs
- Partner to develop a centralized data team and provide statistical expertise to decision making